Gary Chapman describes the idea of love languages which basically says that there are five different ways couples express and experience love, says EveWoman. The first one is through words of affirmation then through quality time followed by giving gifts, acts of service and physical touch. Knowing these things can help you build a stronger emotional bond between you and your partner.
Know each other’s language
Given that idea, it’s essential that you find out what your partner’s love language is. What does she do to express her love for your? For instance, does your spouse or partner love to cuddle up to you? Does she often ask for hugs or does she like it when you’re both on the couch, in each other arms while you take in the latest action flick to hit the screens? That means physical touch is an important love language to your partner.
On the other hand, if your partner loves it when you spend time together doing nothing, maybe catching a film, doing the dishes together or simply talking about the latest developments in your favorite sci-fi series on Netflix, then that means setting aside quality time is an essential part of love for her. By knowing what love languages matter to your partner the most, you can find ways to show them you love them in ways that matter to them.
If you observe that your partner is happier when you tell her you love her on a daily basis, then that means words of affirmation matter to her, says The Everygirl. Read on to learn 5 ways to tell her you love her:
- Compliment her. Tell her she’s witty and strong. That she’s capable and goofy. That she can set her mind to anything and she’d succeed. That she’s beautiful and she takes your breath away. Make a habit of sending her a positive text message every day. It doesn’t have to be a long one. It can be a simple message. Send it at different times of the day when you know that she has a moment to read it. When she’s in the middle of a long and grueling workweek, seeing that pop up on her screen can make her day and make the long hours at work, the stress and deadlines into less of a mountain to climb.
- Write her a note. Telling her you love her doesn’t always mean resorting to a grand gesture. Simple and sweet acts of love like a short note on the sandwich you made her, or a note that says “Take care of my honey!” attached to the new gloves you gave her will go a long way.
- Email her. There’s something about sitting down to write a long email just to tell her how your day went and how, when you look back on all the years together, you’re amazed at how short the time seems. Talk about how want to spend 50 more years together doing nothing else but watching TV together, having breakfast and fighting over the blankets. You can go for the email when she’s troubled by something at work or having problems with her side of the family. While doing this for special occasions such as an anniversary or her birthday is a good move, there’s something about sitting down to write a long email to tell her you love her just because. That’s often the best reason out of all of them.
- Leave her a card. You can also leave her a card at the bedside table, one she’ll see the minute she opens her eyes. It’s a nice surprise to start the day with. You could remind her of the grocery run she’ll need to do later that afternoon. And there, at the bottom, put in something like “I’ll be thinking of you all day” or “I love waking up to you.” It’s a nice and warm sort of greeting to wake up to and can get both of your days started off on the right track.
- Encourage her. Sometimes, a simple message of “Have a good one at work,” or “You can do it” helps. It won’t take you long to type that out and send it to her.
Don’t know what to say?
Find yourself having trouble telling her how you feel? It’s common, and that’s why people seek out counseling. Look for an Allen-based therapist. Some people find it hard to say or write about their emotions. If you’re the same, then seeking out the help of an Allen family counselor can do a lot to improve your relationship and emotional bond.