Amanda Myers, M.Ed., LPC, Registered Play Therapist
Serving Children, Adolescents, and Families
Are you looking to make real change in your family life, or understand how to restructure your parenting style for the sake of your children?
Are you wondering how to parent your child in a different way?
Are you faced with divorce, separation, or a difficult marriage and need support?
I can help! As a Registered Play Therapist and Licensed Professional Counselor I’m your source of knowledge and education when it comes to understanding your child’s temperament and behavior style – I’m here to listen and help empower you and your child.
I’ve worked extensively with children through various organizations:
- As a group counselor for Camp COPE I have the privilege of providing fun, therapeutic activities for children whose parents or a loved one have been deployed or returned injured in the military. The groups give children the opportunity to share feelings and feel supported. With the organization, I’ve traveled all over the United States including exciting places like California, Alaska, Kansas and Oklahoma, North Carolina.
- As a grief counselor to children at Journey of Hope, I’ve helped children, teens and families who have lost a loved one to death.
- As a crisis counselor to homeless, abused, or neglected teens who entered City House Shelter. This great organization helps teens get up on their feet, feel support they’ve never had, and create a stable living environment for a lifetime.
I believe our life is altered from childhood from our own experience, impressions, and perceived successes and failures. In our sessions, I’ll offer suggestions on how to reach your new goals – yours, your child’s and your family’s! I believe you have the ability to change or enhance your life in a more positive way, through guidance, education, support and encouragement.
Getting parents involved is one of, if not THE most important aspect in working with children. I can teach the parent Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) to use with their children, which are more behavior-based and used to help children understand why they do some of the things they do, helping them begin to make better choices.
I often use “Think Good, Feel Good”as a resource in my sessions, and encourage all my parents to get this great resource as well. I also use Child Parent Relationship Therapy (CPRT) Treatment Manual: A 10-Session Filial Therapy Model for Training Parents.
**Be on the lookout for upcoming parent training courses using the CPRT!
With a Bachelor of Psychology and Masters in Counseling from the University of North Texas, I am eager to help in the following areas:
- Play Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Kids
- Anxiety and Stress
- Divorce, Separation and Family Restructuring
When I am not counseling, I enjoy spending time with friends and family. I am a mom of a 3 year old and a new little one. I love every minute of seeing my children grow and discover their world. My husband and I have been married for over 7 years.
Please contact me at 214-547-1318 or register online now:
See you soon!