Coaching, Educating, Mentoring, Teaching
Hiring a coach that is also a Licensed Psychotherapist is smart.
Licensed Counselors from a credentialed University have a minimum of a Master’s Degree, incredibly high standards, and many years of theoretical, philisophical and psychological knowledge to back up their coaching practice.
Entering into a change relationship with a life coach (read: mentor, educator, teacher) is smart because you already know what you want, you no longer feel a need to go down “memory lane” with family demons of the past, and you have specific goals you want to accomplish.
A Counselor is a Life Coach with in-depth training. But a Life Coach can never be Counselor. Not without a higher education, proper training and proper licensure. It’s just that simple.
Our coaching clients will learn core principles of the change process, including:
- How thoughts, emotions, and actions are connected
- Why subconscious thoughts drive behavior
- The role intuition and mindfulness play in change
- The unique connection between mind, body and spirit
- How homework and journal exercises between sessions make change happen more swiftly
- How meditation, self-talk, role-playing, role rehearsal can aide the change process
- How to recognize destructive thoughts that keep you stuck
- How to set realistic goals and take action on them
- Develop a support group meant to hold you accountable during your change process
- How to push yourself out of your comfort zone at work, at home, and in social settings
All suffering and discomfort is self-generated. Individuals are responsible for their own actions and have the ability to control their own thoughts, feelings, and actions, thereby creating less discomfort and suffering. – Epictetus
Coaching and counseling can look very similar. The main difference is that some clients have a diagnosable disorder such as Major Depressive Disorder or Generalized Anxiety Disorder or addictions that need to be delved into a bit more deeply. However, the result is often very similar: Behavioral changes are made.
Is Coaching Right for Me?
If you can answer “Yes” to the below questions, you might be a good candidate for coaching:
- My life runs fine most of the time, but I could use a mentor to help push me out of my comfort zone now and again.
- I’d like to re-examine my thoughts, feelings and actions to see if they need to be changed.
- I need to set new goals in my personal or professional life, and I need to run some ideas by someone experienced in problem-solving and goal-setting.
- I like my life, but sometimes it could use a little “tweeking” and I’m not sure how to do that on my own.
- It would be nice to have someone to keep me accountable.
- I’d really like to become a better version of who I am now.
Many seek out a coach with help on issues such as these:
- Parenting concerns and effectiveness strategies
- Marital and relationship enhancement
- Workplace and career dissatisfaction
- Personal and professional growth
- Depression and Bipolar Disorder Symptom Management
- Anxiety, Phobias, and Fear Symptom Management
- Marriage and Relationship Issues
- Chronic Health Afflictions
- Personal and Professional Growth
- Grief and Loss Issues Symptom Management
- Stress Management
- Disorganization, General Unhappiness and Feelings of Low Self-Worth
Love the couch. Love yourself.©
Initial Consultations are an “in office” clinical assessment with a licensed therapist . They are are charged at our usual fee levels. Skype and telephone consultations are also available.
You may book an Initial Consultation using our booking system or call I Choose Change / Allen Counseling Center to schedule 214-547-1318
If you are not sure whether the therapist will be a good fit or will meet your needs please call our office to set up a free 30 minute telephone consultation.
These appointments are not available via our online booking service.
Please note a telephone consultation is not a clinical meeting. It is intended to be a “get to know you” session only, to find out if the counselor is the best fit.
The counselor will share their methodology and practice style with you during this time.